Strathisla distillery is the oldest continuously operating distillery in Scotland. It was founded as the Milltown Distillery by George Taylor and Alexander Milne in 1786. By 1830, the distillery was owned by William Longmore. In 1879, the distillery suffered terribly from a fire, but was rebuilt with a bottling plant. It was later acquired in 1950 by James Barclay of Chivas Bros.