The history of Monchhof (the ”Monks House or Monks Court”) goes back to 1177. Still in the Eymael family’s possession is a document signed by Pope Alexander III, which shows the Cloister Himmerod (a Cistercian abbey) as having holdings at Ürzig as early as 1177. The monks from Himmerod were active as winegrowers in the area and they completed the present estate building and underground cellars before 1509. They continued their work at the Monchhof until 1804, when the estate was purchased by the Eymael family. For over 200 years they have carried on the winemaking tradition of the monks. The estate’s prime holdings are in the vineyards of the Ürziger Wurzgarten, Erdener Treppchen, and Erdener Pralat. In the tasting room of the 500 year old manor house Robert Eymael Jr. offers the great selections from the great single vineyards of the area, as well as his very popular basic Riesling.