Initially started as the dream of one man, Don Felipe Ugalde in 1882, this winery has seen ongoing growth and development over the years. Don’s aim was simple, to be one of the countries most prestigious Bodega’s. Although his winery passed down the family line, it was through marriage that it became united with Bodegas Muerza, hence losing its identity. Today it is owned by the group Principe de Viana who acquired it in 1983 providing investment in new equipment, staff and in 2001 a new winery, 10km outside Logrono, complete with an underground ageing cellar. The new cellars incorporated modern equipment such as self-weighing hoppers, pneumatic presses and self-emptying stainless steel vats. This level of development has allowed not only the fruit from their own vineyards to be processed but also that of surrounding contract growers so that it has been able to produce this range of great value for money wines.