Château Langoa & Leoville Barton
The history of Léoville-Barton and Langoa is closely connected, as there is no Château Léoville-Barton, but only a vineyard – the wine of Château Léoville-Barton is made in Château Langoa Barton - yet it is Château Léoville-Barton which is a Deuxieme Grand Cru Classé. Built in 1758, Château Langoa is the archetype of the 18th century bordelaise style with harmonious proportions. Hugh Barton, whose family came from Ireland in the eighteen century, bought the Château Langoa in 1821. The Château is surrounded by a park planted mostly with oak trees and a garden combining the orderly French style with a more informal English touch. The Bartons have managed to preserve their inheritance for more than two centuries. From one generation to another the wines produced by the two properties have maintained the quality of their classification, offering wines at the very top of their appellation. Châteaux Langoa and Léoville-Barton are in the very heart of the appellation of St Julien, about two kilometres south of Châteaux Latour. It is ideal for vines, due to its geographic situation and its climate; every element is present to produce wines of exceptional quality and elegance.
A close tight bouquet leaking black cherry fruits and a little toasted oak. The palate is very much in the classic mould, harmonious yet dense with blackcurrant fruit, very fine tannins and carefully laced cedar oak.
We love to drink this wine with a fillet steak and blue cheese sauce.