Château Langoa & Leoville Barton
The history of Léoville-Barton and Langoa is closely connected, as there is no Château Léoville-Barton, but only a vineyard – the wine of Château Léoville-Barton is made in Château Langoa Barton - yet it is Château Léoville-Barton which is a Deuxieme Grand Cru Classé. Built in 1758, Château Langoa is the archetype of the 18th century bordelaise style with harmonious proportions. Hugh Barton, whose family came from Ireland in the eighteen century, bought the Château Langoa in 1821. The Château is surrounded by a park planted mostly with oak trees and a garden combining the orderly French style with a more informal English touch. The Bartons have managed to preserve their inheritance for more than two centuries. From one generation to another the wines produced by the two properties have maintained the quality of their classification, offering wines at the very top of their appellation. Châteaux Langoa and Léoville-Barton are in the very heart of the appellation of St Julien, about two kilometres south of Châteaux Latour. It is ideal for vines, due to its geographic situation and its climate; every element is present to produce wines of exceptional quality and elegance.
Aged for 18 months in 60% new oak, which provides a lovely smokiness, this wine is multi-layered and complex with rich, black fruits showing great generosity. There is also a fine, balancing freshness that provides an outstanding equilibrium.
Enjoy with a classic beef wellington.