Santiago Achurra Larraín founded the winery in 1961 and, alongside new generations of the Achurra family, he has grown the winery to be amongst Chile’s top 20 producers. The Vineyards are located in the Curicó Valley, where a mild Mediterranean-type climate and varied soils offer superb conditions for growing numerous varieties. Long, dry summers with radiant days and cool nights help grapes attain their maximum potential for colour, aroma and flavour. Winemaking is led by Benoit Fitte, who left his native France to join the winery in 2001. Accolades include IWSC Gold for ‘Potro de Piedra’, Silver for ‘Toro de Piedra Carmenere-Cab. Sav.’ and ‘Puerto Viejo Cabernet Sauvignon’. Recently the ‘Toro de Piedra Late Harvest’ received a ‘Silver’ at Decanter
Intense nose of dark cherry, strawberry, cedar and liquorice. Juicy and round on the palate with firm tannins that combine well with dark fruits, prunes and roasted nuts with a toasty finish.
Roasted short ribs with aromatic spices.
18-20 days maceration with cold pre-fermentative maceration for four days at temperatures below 10°C. Fermentation starts with active dry yeast (Bayanus) developing at 25°C to 28°C with traditional pumping over and punching. 85% of the wine was aged on its lees for six months in contact with French oak and micro-oxygenation; the remaining 15% was aged for eight months in French and American oak barrels.