Type: Red Wine
Country: France
Region: Languedoc-Roussillon
Code: CROS160
This wine is produced from 95% Carignan vines planted in 1905, with the remaining 5% a mixed field blend. Brimming with black fruit characters, concentrated cassis and a black cherry freshness, this is a superb wine, complex and oozing finesse.

Domaine Pierre Cros

Pierre Cros, an ex rugby player, is a genuine maverick winemaker from the Languedoc wine region. Above all he is a great character. His domaine is situated in the small village of Badens in the Minervois, surrounded by the Canal du Midi to the South and the Montagne Noire to the North. It is here in the intense heat of the southern sun that little else grows except the vine and olive tree…and it is here that Pierre Cros cultivates his 20 hectares of vines including the classic Southern French varieties of Grenache, Carignan and Syrah as well as some very interesting Touriga Nacional and Nebbiolo. Low yield and vines dating from 1905 contribute to the production of some extremely fascinating and popular wines which are deep and structured and very enjoyable. “I neither pretend to teach you how you should taste my wines… nor when… or why… or (even worse) with whom. I would just like to outline certain reflexions and ideas, which in my opinion are important for today’s wine world. I would like to tell you, for example, that above all I am a peasant, a hillbilly if you like, with all my knowledge and all my doubts. And I am surely a full man, proud about his roots and proud to rrrrrole the R’s like people do in my country.” Pierre Cros
Brimming with black fruit characters, concentrated cassis and a black cherry freshness, this is a superb wine, tightly knit and supported by firm, suave tannins. There is also a beautiful, refined streak of garrigue that sits deep within the skeleton of the wine. Complex and oozing finesse.
A delicious accompaniment to red meat and cheese. Try with boeuf bourguignon or a beef fillet with mushrooms.
Aged in 2 year old oak barrels, which were used the previous vintage for the prestige Les Aspres, for 5-6 months. An element of carbonic maceration enhances the aromatics.

Matthew Jukes, The Fifty Finest Wines 2022, 18/20: "I have never come across this estate before, but there is more brave heart attitude and vinous chutzpah buried in the core of this statesmanlike red wine than in a dungeon full of Châteauneuf-du-Papes! Made from 100-yearold Carignan, there is an extraordinary depth of mulberry fruit here, loaded with bonfire tones, and all hung together with a rich, toothsome, but not tannic, texture! Heart-warming and decidedly wintry, this is a very classy wine and one that would delight every committed carnivore on earth."

You May Also Like