Established in 1902, Langley’s Distillery was founded by a group of local publicans who wanted to earn a buck or two with the onset of the gin wave. The small community built the stills themselves and raised the distillery from the ground up. This was to be taken over in 1955 by the W. H. Palmer Group Ltd. The Palmers’ main purpose was not set on distillation but rather to do with chemical compounding. It was only in about 1920 when they bought over this distillery, which had been lying dormant for a few years, that they tested the water with distilling and found that there was no turning back; the gin tide had pulled them in. Today Langley’s is run by Adam Wallis Palmer, the great, great grandson of the original founder of the Palmer group, having kept the company within the family since its very establishment – even through all of its expansion.
This gin is delightfully smooth on the palate with a good balance of fresh botanicals: spicy juniper and ripe citrus fruit. A little further on and there is a good taste of oak and parsley. Almost bitter at points, this finishes with a warming peppery fade.
The perfect base for a gin and tonic.